Friday, June 27, 2008

When cats and dogs meet

About a month ago, I agreed to dog sit for my friend John, who is going on a family trip this weekend. This morning Annie and Sarah came to visit until Monday!

I was, of course, a bit concerned about how my three resident felines - Pierre, Jasmine, and Triscuit - might feel about these house guests. After all, they've run this house for 9, 10, and 17 years, respectively. And though I've been trying to prepare them for weeks for this visit, I don't think they really believed me.

When I first got here to the house, I pulled into the garage but left the overhead door open. We got out of the car and Annie & Sarah enthusiastically investigated the side yard, the front yard, and the driveway. After they'd done their business, they turned back into the garage and expectantly waited at the door. (Smart dogs - how'd they know that went into the house? They've never been here before!) So we went in, and I expected that Pierre and Jasmine would be on their "puffs" at the top of the stairs as they usually are at that time of day, and that would see the girls and instantly go flying off somewhere.

Instead, nothing. Not a cat in sight, anywhere. Sarah immediately went downstairs (which surprised me, because John said she might have trouble with stairs) and investigated the basement, followed closely by Annie and then by me. No cats anywhere. In fact the whole house was eerily silent. Knowing how well cats can hide, I decided that probably I would see them sometime later in the day and shouldn't worry.

So I was very surprised upon entering the bedroom after Annie to hear a very loud hiss. I followed the source of the hiss to find Pierre waiting with VERY big hair and fire in his eyes huddled under a chair. Jasmine was sitting next to the computer with very big eyes but was otherwise quiet. She did, however, lay her ears back and glare when Annie jumped up onto the bed.

Annie and Sarah tried to sniff Pierre, but he continued to sound like an air mattress with an intermittent leak. They kind of glanced at Jasmine but for some reason didn't bother to approach her.

Triscuit is still nowhere around. But this is her best sleeping time, so she's probably somewhere curled up. I think Pierre just went into the closet. Maybe she's in there, too.

Uh-oh...It's awfully quiet around here...I think I'd better go see what's going on!!

No comments: