Monday, June 09, 2008

Phew!

It is HOT. Hot isn't so bad; it's humidity that really gets us here, and it's also humid. Yesterday we had some thunderstorms go through, and that helped very briefly, but here we are today, back to 95 degrees and 36% humidity. Poor Miss Triscuit Cat, who is 17 years old, really minds the heat, and it was pitiful to watch her over the weekend as she just stretched out on her side in a position strategically located between two open doors and didn't move for hours. Bill finally was able to get the air conditioners in, and she's now back to normal! The other two cats don't seem to mind nearly as much...

My sister and her husband came to visit this weekend, and brought their Nintendo Wii. I need one. I NEED one. And no place around here (or anywhere else, from what I can tell) has any. So I now have a nifty little gadget on my Google homepage called "Nintendo Wii Tracker." It keeps track of when the elusive Wii comes into stock online so I can check to see if I can actually get one. You've gotta love gadgets!

Rich just handed me an article called "Wii Love Learning" from the June/July 2008 issue of "Edutopia." It's a short article on some classroom teachers in Indiana who use the Wii in the classroom. Now, I can see that entirely. My sister brought her Wii Fit component, too, and it tricked me into actually exercising. Here I thought I was just playing computer games, then all of a sudden I realized that the muscles in my legs felt like I had really done some exercise, and I was sweaty and out of breath as well. So if the Wii can trick a couch potato like me into exercising, why couldn't it trick kids into learning?

Sounds like fun to me!

No comments: