Sunday, June 29, 2008

Triscuit the Brave

So there I was, playing Wii Tennis (and actually winning for a change), when all of a sudden a paw comes around the door to other end of the basement and pulls the door open and Triscuit walks through. I'm not sure who was more surprised, Annie, Sarah, or me. She kind of huffed at the dogs, who were sitting stock still out of pure shock, then sat down and stared at us all. Annie started to get a little wiggly and was looking at me, begging me to let her go over to the cat, but I just said warningly, "Annie..." and she sat down reluctantly. Sarah was just staring back at Triscuit in utter fascination. Triscuit then turned her back on us all and continued to sit there, probably contemplating her next move. She then nonchalantly wandered up the steps. At that point the dogs were both trying to decide whether or not to follow her, but I told them, "No," and they unwillingly stayed down with me (they listen very well!), but they watched with the steps with rapt attention.

I continued with my tennis playing (proceeding to lose after all) and since Triscuit had not reappeared, the girls lost interest in the steps and settled down to nap. Ten minutes or so later, Triscuit stalked down the steps, crossed the room and jumped on the futon. She stared at me accusingly and meowed, which caused Annie to jump up and dare to approach. Triscuit glared at her but didn't hiss and allowed her to get pretty close before she deliberately turned her back and climbed up onto the back of the futon, where she settled down.

Poor Annie was about ready to jump out of her skin with excitement. She slipped onto the futon as furtively as possible and inched her way forward as far as she could toward Triscuit. She got within a foot, always expecting that hiss, and just as she leaned forward to sniff, Triscuit leaned into HER and sniffed! That, of course, startled Annie so much that she leapt back and missed her golden opportunity to finally give one of the cats a kiss! I cried, I was laughing so hard!

I'd gotten tired of playing tennis (had played 12 matches at that point, and actually won a couple), so I plopped down onto the futon and decided to see if there was anything worth watchinig on TV. (Yes, I know you're all shocked that I would even look.) Triscuit was utterly delighted. She climbed off the back of the futon to sit on my chest, purring very loudly. Annie climbed up onto the futon onto my feet, and I had no choice but to watch whatever was on the current station (I had dropped the remote). Fortunately it was on TV Land or something, so I ended up watching "Murder, She Wrote" and alternating petting Triscuit, Annie, and Sarah. (The other two cats hadn't come out of the other end yet.)

Last I saw Triscuit she had followed us upstairs and was sitting in one of her regular positions in the living room. Perhaps she'll work up the courage to come down and resume her regular sleeping position on my bed!

[Edit...probably 10 minutes after I originally posted this, Triscuit DID work up that courage, and is now very contentedly snuggled up next to me in bed.]

No comments: