Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Frustration

Okay, so this morning I went to look at a trailer for a documentary about librarians that's posted on YouTube and found that YouTube is now BLOCKED. Not only blocked, but blocked without any administrative override.

Frustrated is not really the proper word to describe what I'm feeling.

Sure, there's stuff on YouTube that's not educationally appropriate. There's stuff on the entire Web that's not educationally appropriate. But getting rid of everything just because you might run into something is just wrong. It's the old "throw the baby out with the bathwater" thing, and it doesn't do the kids any favors in the long run. Everyone's telling us we need to teach kids to think critically, but how does filtering do that? It teaches them they don't have to think; we're doing it for them. They don't have to decide if something is appropriate, valuable, or worth seeing because the filter - or those who are choosing which sites to filter - decides that.

If you don't want your kids to drown you don't fill in the pool - you teach them to swim. What's wrong with that?

Let me add "disgusted" to "frustrated."

There. I said it. In public and everything. Now maybe I'll feel better...

1 comment:

June Keuhn said...

I used YouTube in my plagiarism presentation. It defined the term better than I could and the students got a huge kick out of it!